ARC Postdoctoral Fellow
Marine Spatial Ecology Lab
School of Biological Sciences
University of Queensland
St. Lucia Brisbane, Qld 4072
tel: +61 (7) 33651671
Coral community and population dynamics, effect of climate change in coral ecosystems, coral algae symbiosis, coral biodiversity, detection of changes in the status of marine environments.
- 2010-2015 Australian Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow MSEL The University of Queensland
- 2005-2009 Research associate Centre for Marine Studies. The University of Queensland
- 2003-2005 Research assistant Centre for Marine Studies. The University of Queensland
- 1997-1999 Scientific advisor Fundacion expoLisboa 98, Venezuelan Ministry for the environment and Natural Resources
- 1998-1999. Field Assistant, School of Biology, Universidad Central de Venezuela.
- 1996-1997. Field Assistant, School of Chemistry, Universidad Central de Venezuela.
2010 PhD The University of Queensland Australia Thesis title: Detecting changes in coral reef environments in response to subtle disturbances: from organism to holobiont community response.
2002 Licenciado en Biología BSc (Hons) equivalent Universidad Central de Venezuela. Thesis title: Characterization of the scleractinian coral community structure of the Chichiriviche de la Costa cove before and after an extreme flooding event
Awards and grants
- 2008 University of Queensland travel award to attend the 11th ICRS in forth Lauderdale, Florida USA. Amount awarded A$ 1800
- 2007 2nd place for oral presentation. 1st Leaders of the future Forum organized by the GEFUNESCO coral bleaching target research group. Brisbane, Australia. Presentation of the paper entitle Mild bleaching a different story.
- 2006 ACRS student presentation award for paper entitled ‘Effect of colony size and surrounding substrate on corals experiencing a mild bleaching event on Heron Island reef flat’.
- 2006- 2010 Australian Postgraduate Award. Covers stipend during the duration of PhD studies.
- 2002. PADI Foundation Research Grant. Project title: “Effect of the upwelling and freshwater discharges on the coral-symbiotic dinoflagellate community structure of central Venezuela”. Amount awarded AU$ 4000
- 2000. 9th International Coral Reef Symposium Travel award. To attend the 9th ICRS in Bali. Amount awarded AU$ 900
- 1998. Venezuelan Navy Grant. Project title: “Mar, Hombre y Ciencia” (Sea, Man and Science). Amount awarded AU$ 6000
- Ortiz, JC, Gonzalez-Rivero, M,Mumby, PJ, 2012 Can a thermaly tolerant symbiont improve the future of Caribbean coral reefs. Global Change Biology (in press)
- Renata Ferrari, Gonzalez-Rivero M, Ortiz JC, Mumby PJ (2012) Interactions of herbivory and seasonality on the dynamics of Caribbean macroalgae Coral Reefs (in press)
- Roff G , Ledlie MH , Ortiz JC , Mumby PJ , 2011 Spatial Patterns of Parrotfish Corallivory in the Caribbean: The Importance of Coral Taxa, Density and Size. PLoS ONE 6(12): e29133. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0029133(pdf)
- Hoegh-Guldberg O, Ortiz J C, Dove S (2011) The future of coral reefs. Science: 334 (6062), 1494-1495 (pdf)
- Roff G , Kvennefors ECE , Fine M , Ortiz J , Davy JE , et al. (2011) The Ecology of ‘Acroporid White Syndrome’, a Coral Disease from the Southern Great Barrier Reef. PLoS ONE 6(12): e26829. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0026829 (pdf)
- Wild C, Hoegh-Guldberg O, Naumann M, Colombo-Pallotta MF, Ateweberhan, M., Fitt WK, Iglesias-Prieto R, Palmer C, Bythell JC, Ortiz JC, Loya Y, van Woesik R (2011) Climate change impedes scleractinian corals as primary reef ecosystem engineers. Marine & Freshwater Research 62:205-215pdf
- Ortiz, JC (2011) Effect of incorrect interpretation of population statistics in the description of coral population dynamics: Response to Crabbe 2009’. Marine Environmental Research, 71:145-146pdf
- Ortiz, JC, M Gomez-Cabrera, O Hoegh-Guldberg (2009) ‘Effect of colony size and surrounding substrate on corals experiencing a mild bleaching event on Heron Island reef flat (southern Great Barrier Reef, Australia)’. Coral Reefs, 28:4: 999-1003.pdf
- Holmes G, JC Ortiz, CHL Schönberg (2009). ‘Bioerosion rates of the sponge Cliona orientalis Thiele, 1900: spatial variation over short distances’. FACIES 55:203-211.pdf
- Schönberg CHL, JC Ortiz (2008). Is sponge bioerosion increasing? Proceedings of the 11th International Coral Reef Symposium, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, 7-11 July 2008pdf
- Holmes G, JC Ortiz, P Kaniewska, R Johnstone (2008) ‘Using three-dimensional surface area to compare the growth of two Pocilloporid coral species’. Marine Biology 155: 421-427pdf
- Gómez-Cabrera, MdC, JC Ortiz, WKW Loh, S Ward, O Hoegh-Guldberg (2008) Acquisition ofsymbiotic dinoflagellates (Symbiodinium) by juveniles of the coral Acroporalongicyathus. Coral Reefs 27:219-226.pdf
- Edinger, EN, GS Burr, JM Pandolfi, JC Ortiz (2007). Age accuracy and resolution ofQuaternary corals used as proxies for sea level. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 253:37–49pdf
- Pillans, S, JC Ortiz, RD Pillans, HP Possingham (2007). The impact of marine reserves on nekton diversity and community composition in subtropical eastern Australia. Biological Conservation 136: 455–469pdf
- Dove S, Ortiz JC, Enriquez S, Fine M. Hoegh-Guldberg O Iglesias-Prieto R, Thornhill D.(2006) Response of holosymbiont pigments from Montipora sp. to short term heat stress.Limnol Oceanogr 51:1149-1158.pdf
- Ortiz, JC, Gonzalez-Rivero, M,Mumby, PJ, 2012 Can a thermaly tolerant symbiont improve the future of Caribbean coral reefs 12the International Coral reefs Symposium Cairns Australia
- Ortiz, J.C., M. del C. Gomez Cabrera 2008. Coral Holobiont Community Structure: How Much Have We Missed By Focusing Only in the Coral Host? 11th International Coralreef Symposium Ford Lauderdale USA
- Schönberg CHL, JC Ortiz 2008. Is sponge bioerosion increasing? 11th International Coralreef Symposium Ford Lauderdale USA
- Ortiz, J.C., G. Holmes. 2008 Dynamic of the population size frequency distribution in two scleractinian coral species on Heron reef, GBR. 11th International Coral reff Symposium Ford Lauderdale USA
- Ortiz, J.C., D. Rojas. 2004 How can floods drive diversity in a non reefal coral community. 10th Internacional Coral Reef Symposium. Okinawa Japan
- Dove S., J.C. Ortiz, R. Iglesias-Prieto, S Enriquez, O. Hoegh-Guldberg 2004 Response of Host and Symbiont Pigments from Three Distinct Colour Morphs of the Skeleractinian Coral Montipora monasteriata to Stress 10th Internacional Coral Reef Symposium. Okinawa Japan
- Ortiz, J.C., M. del C. Gomez Cabrera and S. M. Pauls. 2000. Change in the community structure of the Chichiriviche de la Costa cove as a consequence of an intense period of rain. 9th International Coral Reef Symposium. Bali, Indonesia
- Ortiz, J.C., M. del C. Gomez Cabrera and S.M. Pauls. 1999. Distribution of the Stony CoralColonies at the Ensenada de Chichiriviche de la Costa, Venezuela VIII Latinamerican Congress of Marine Sciences. Trujillo, Peru.
- Ortiz, J.C., M. del C. Gomez Cabrera and Sheila M. Pauls. 1999. Structure of the Coral Community of the Ensenada de Chichiriviche de la Costa, Venezuela. 29a Reunion Asociacion de Laboratorios Marinos del Caribe. Cumana, Venezuela.